Communications Director - Social impact
About Bertha Foundation
Bertha Foundation’s mission is to cultivate a society in which activists build collective power, stories come from many voices, and the law is used as a tool for justice. Our vision is to train 1000 radical human rights lawyers who will hold governments and corporations to account and, together with storytellers and activists, will fight for a more justice world. We support activists, storytellers, and lawyer who we believe can change the world. Bertha also supports organizations that use media as a tool for social impact. The aim is to enable information to be more accessible to audiences who can become active on the issues explored. The goal is a media landscape that is diverse, relevant, and action oriented.
About the role
We are looking for a Communications Director who will lead in developing new strategies to support storytelling on the frontlines for social impact. As our Communications Director, be responsible to measure, uplift and amplify progress and success of Bertha Foundation and partners, including the grantees and Bertha Fellows central to their work. You will be responsible for collaborating with existing and potential grantees to generate ideas – both disruptive and generative – to guide and inspire the foundation’s work at the intersection of media and social justice. Particular focus will be on supporting the field of journalism and arts activism.
This role is part of the leadership team and will be based in London. Although a very autonomous role, you will be accountable to the CEO and Founder.
About the outcomes
The Communications Director will be responsible for achieving the following outcomes within the first 3-6 months
- Launch a new 3- 6 months multi-channel driven media impact strategy that includes documentary films, investigative journalism, social impact media campaigns and resource development
- Implement real time dashboards to track grant & campaign impact for monitoring and evaluation aligned with vision of portfolio and aligned with grantee monitoring.
- Present conceptualization of bespoke collaborative Bertha/grantee programmes based out of media portfolio, and with focus such as arts activism and/or investigative journalism
- Work with other directors to conceptualize Cross Portfolio Collaborations to leverage and support opportunities within and beyond the work of grantee network
- For Bertha publications, identify and generate, 5-10 storytelling ideas to uplift and amplify progress and success of Bertha Foundation and partners, including the grantees and Bertha Justice Fellows central to their work
- Develop a strategy on how to extend the reach and impact of existing digital assets across the Bertha Network
- To support new and existing grantees with drafting grant proposals four times per year prior to board meetings
- Significant experience developing impactful storytelling social impact or leadership programs in the developing world for hundreds of participants
- Demonstrates a track record of delivering exceptional multi-channel social impact strategy
- Demonstrates a track record of meeting (or surpassing) ambitious social impact goals in a fast-paced, competitive environment over a sustained period of time
- Broad network of global contacts among individuals, organizations, and government entities that work on leadership programs for young and emerging leaders
- Cultivates and maintains strong, productive stakeholder management with a diverse and global range of internal and external stakeholders
- Experience developing and maintaining multi-million pound budgets
- Takes a collaborative approach to work; understands the limitations of own perspective and works to understand the interests and perspectives of others
- Demonstrates clear knowledge and curiosity for media, journalism, arts activism, documentary film-making and/or social justice campaign work
- Experience of managing extensive and active alumni networks
- Track record of designing strategies that target specific goals and executing effectively on those strategies
- Designs, implements and manages complex, long-term projects through the development of processes and systems to meet deadlines, fulfil commitments, track progress and achieve goals
- Is adept at navigating the intricacies of tactical grant management systems (e.g. grant tracking)